** Just was able to post this from Sunday last -- enjoy! Keep checking group blog because our team leader is doing a great job!
Today we were able to experience one of the most restoring days that I have had so far in Sri Lanka. Packing the night before, the ten of us got up and loaded into a van like a herd of turtles. Collin, the nicest man and an ex-Sri Lankan military driver, maneuvered the hot pink bus throughout the traffic (including the oncoming traffic) like a pro, and I felt very safe as we all headed toward the outskirts of Colombo for Sunday service. Approximately an hour and forty five minutes after our initial boarding, we pulled up to a large cement wall which surrounds both the church and a young teen girls home – our home for the next ten days! We walked in, were greeted by the lovely young women, and prepared ourselves for church.
Church was such such such a blessing! Some of us were feeling quite queasy or under the weather, since we’re all still adjusting to the food and weather, but by the end of the service, we were all so uplifted that we felt as great as . . . hmmm, mangoes. The service started with us being introduced to the church, which luckily went off without a hitch – we later found out that our answers were “paraphrased”, giving a nice laugh to those who spoke both Singhala and English. From the very beginning, we felt welcome in the church community. The service was translated for us, which was so kind, and the worship was very beautiful due to the rich voices of those in the choir. Uncle Adrianne (as we’re all calling him now) spoke on our ability to come before God as His children. Honestly, half way through the service, and despite the eloquence and depth of the sermon, I had to pinch myself to stay awake as the early morning rise started to affect me. But if I had any fears that I would doze off, they were quickly put to rest as we had communion and a rousing time of prayer at the end of the service, an amazing time to share with the members of the church community – it was genuine, real, and I feel like we really got to see the hearts of the church members – gave me a lot to think about.
After the service, we were fortunate enough to meet some of the members and that was so enjoyable. Unfortunately, I am struggling with remembering names leading to some embarrassing situations -- as silly as it sounds, if you could pray that my memory would improve, it would be much appreciated! Of the members attending, there seemed to be a large community of babies –a welcome place to use our doting skills!
Moving on from the church, the De Vissers were nice enough to take us out to lunch – It was WONDERFUL! The first “American” food I had since we left (besides the “French fries” Cali and I whipped up in our kitchen at the farm to share with the kids). Even better than the food was the conversation and the fellowship. I can not think of adequate words to describe how cared for and comfortable I feel here, as I know that our hosts are some of the most obliging, hospitable, caring, and interesting people I have ever met. It has been a real treat, and I feel a small sense of guilt that our serving can not match nearly as much as we are being served. Consequently, I thoroughly enjoyed all the conversations that were taking place across the table, as well as my sandwich.
After lunch, it was time for a long nap. SUCH A HARD DAY! Haha, I did warn you that today was one of the most restoring days.
Then, up and at ‘em for another night service an hour away in a home. The home is actually the headquarters for a wonderful organization focusing on bringing the factions of the Sri Lankan population together to work on overcoming the hidden malices and years of bitterness built by the decades-long civil war.
THIS IS WHERE THE ABSOLUTELY MOST WONDERFUL, RESTORING PART OF THE DAY TOOK PLACE!!!!!!!!! The night service was WONDERFUL! It was so wonderful to just sing praise songs and be in awe of being halfway around the world and still be praising a God who is as constant and faithful in California as in Sri Lanka – that He is in control and worthy to be praised. Pershan, Thil’s brother, shared on prayer, and it was so helpful and profound. I think it met a lot of us right where we were, and has already been making an impact (from what I can gather from conversations we’ve already had – I can’t wait to talk about it tomorrow!). Anyways, it was WONDERFUL!
After a great dinner, we all were able to stick our feet in the Indian Ocean – perfect ending? I think so!
Great Blog Kaitlin!! I'm praying for you and the children you are serving. May God's truth expose the emptiness of the idol worshipping.
ReplyDeleteI'm proud of you for being willing to go! That is no small sacrifice! God bless, love Aunt Susan.